Friday, January 15, 2010

Funky Friday - Island In The Sun


I don't know how Mrs M does it. I am a bugger-to-buy for. Birthdays, Christmas etc. Yet, every year she manages to fill some crack in the collection with a trump card. This year it's Keep On Running - The Islands Records Story. What a corker and a cracker of a read. Full page artwork, album cover galleries, but, more mind fryingly it threads together the back stories and tales of some of my most played or favourite styles and artists. Artists, I hadn't quite connected were on the same label together. It's suddenly like finding distant groups of friends gathered in the same school photo.

Blue beat, ska, reggae and the Trojan association, Guy Stevens and Sue Records (we'll save that for another post), Spencer Davies, Traffic, Wynder K Frog, Head Hands And Feet, Fairport Convention, John Martyn, Nick Drake, Kevin Ayers, John Cale, Roxy Music, Eno - and into the eighties and beyond. But for now, let's go from the beginning.

Written and performed by Jackie Edwards from 1958 ~ one of the Island's earliest releases, We're Gonna Love is a sonic eclipse of rock, roll 'n' reggae and blue beat meets big band. Jackie late wrote Keep On Running and Somebody Help Me

Jackie Edwards - We're Gonna Love



From Islands 'pink' period Quintessence look exactly as you'd imagine ~ a fuzzy-faced commune of flute-tooters and freak-beaters. Celebrating Notting Hill when it was sleazy stoner central (best rendered here)rather than the Boho village it's become.

Quintessence - Notting Hill Gate



And how must have this lot bristled on the grizzled roots, rock and reggae artists when they signed to Island..Richard Williams ( head of A and R from 73 to 76) intro sets the scene



15 comments:

Jon Peake said...

I've been meaning to get that myself. Like you, there's hardly an Island artist I don't like.

Mondo said...

You'll love it FC - but it will tempt you to start lobbing for albums you may have missed. This Is Sue Comp, Robert Palmer's Sneaking Sally Through The Ally are on mine
And I hadn't realised Island were behind Frankie Goes To Hollywood, U2 and Amy Winehouse.

PS have you got the Island Pink or Folk CD Boxes that came out a few years back?

Cocktails said...

That Mrs M. is surely some woman - I wouldn't like to be buying musical gifts for you, the man who has almost everything!!

I like the Quintessence track. I hit the play button a bit nervously after your description, but its ace! Reminds me of some of the stuff on that Vertigo comp.

Furtheron said...

Watched a great documentary about Roxy Music on BBC 4 the other week. Not a band that feature in my collection, I was down the Yes, Rush etc. route in the 70s. However the documentary showed me how much I didn't know about their history but how much of their music I actually did, if that makes any sense.

Mondo said...

Yes, she's very good. I'm just ploughing through this at the moment (another winner from Mrs M). If you haven't got it yet - you must grab this Cocktails. You'll love it.

I heard about the Doc after it had been and gone F-Ron, I'd love to have seen it. Roxy are possibly one of the most underated bands ever, if you look their impact and influence - (Pistols, countless 80s bands, Chic and then there's Eno antics)

You should try anything from the first album to Siren. Every one's a winner.

Piley said...

Sounds like a winner book Mond... I've picked a fair few up over the years on your recommendation and all been good buys... most recently AwopbopaloobopAlopbamboom by Nik Cohn and the amazing 77 Sulphate Strip by Barry Cain which is my current read... unputdownable! Another to add to the list by the looks of things (or failing that, maybes I cold let Mrs M know when MY birthday is??!)

P

Mick said...

Three great posts in a row. You're on a roll, Mondo. I love pink era Island. My personal favourites are Nirvana.

I picked up an intersting Island compilation for £1 from a charity shop last year. (I must do a post about my summer CD bargains) It has another great Jackie Edwards song called Come On Home.

Mondo said...

Awopbop is almost scary it's so accurate isn't P. 77 Sulphate is untouchable..Have you tried The Longest Cocktail Party (the end of The Beatles and Apple)..But if you're into Island. You'll love Keep On Running..

Cheers Mick - watch for a Roxy one soon. Nirvana are fab, but where do I know the intro to Rainbow Chaser from Mick - was it sampled for summat?..

What was you're comp I'm all a'buzz for Island collections now - I bought You Can All Join In for a fiver (pictured) but it's almost unplayable it's so blooming scratched.

Mick said...

It was a promo copy of this. The inlay card is one page and says on the back: "The final package will be a digi-pak with a beautifully illustrated cover."

I've never heard Rainbow Chaser sampled and believe me I'd recognise it instantly. Of course, that doesn't mean it hasn't been sampled - just that if it has I haven't heard it.

When I was a kid my brothers had "You Can All Join In" and "Nice Enough To Eat" as well as a similar-ish Decca comp called "Wowie Zowie". I loved them when I was eight.

Mondo said...

OMG what a fistful of comps - Wowie Zowie looks a knockout - This Is Sue is the one I'm after at the mo' (missed two copies closing for a fiver on ebay this week)

rockmother said...

Splendiforous Mr Mondo really enjoyed that and must purchase. How lovely is Mrs M?! xx

Mondo said...

It'll be so up your street Romo,bung it in your Amazon basket

ally. said...

cor blimey but that jackie edwards tune is mighty mighty fine - don't think i've really caught any rockabilly rocksteady before and it's now this weeks subgenre of choice
x
sorry for lagging behind (as usual)

Interface said...

Nice to hear Quintessence again, singer was Australian Phil Jones. Had a band in Sydney called Phil Jones and the Unknown Blues.

Interface said...

Nice to hear Quintessence again, singer was Australian Phil Jones. Had a band in Sydney called Phil Jones and the Unknown Blues.