Friday, February 1, 2008

Funky Friday - Funky Music, Funky Moves

Blimey O'Riley, it seems like a lifetime since we got on the good foot here on Planet Mondo, but there's plenty of tasty treats on offer today.

Sharon Jones and The Dap Kings franticly funky rework of - 'I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In)' - orginally a Psych Rock groover by the First Edition featuring Kenny Rogers - set to a display of spectacular fruggery.

A crazy ace clip of the First Edition, performing 'Condition' with Kenny Rogers looking for all the world like a gripping hands Action Man.

And a stunning bass masterclass, with a home made vid' of a 'have a go hero' playing the bassline along to MVP's Northern Soul stomper 'Turning My Heartbeat Up. If you don't know 'Heartbeat', it's a simmering starter that goes through the gears to an eventual giddy tizz and fireworks finale. I'd never noticed the bass run on 'Heartbeat' until watching this clip, seeing it in almost isolation is stunning.

If you've only got time for one clip, to quote James Brown "please, please, please" watch the bass vid.



In the mood to bust some moves like these? Then get on over James Brown dance class here at the marvellous Landcroft House blog.


Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In).mp3


Doesn't Kenny Rogers looking like one of these ?.


The First Edition - I Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In).mp3


I really could watch this all day.


The MVP's - Turning My Heartbeat Up.mp3

There's also some footage of a Northern Soul dancer set to 'Heartbeat'
here but I find the over use of slo-mo doesn't really suit the mood.

4 comments:

Cocktails said...

You know I knew that Kenny Rogers was in First Edition, but I never quite registered that this meant that was 'cool and groovy'. Or at least, he thought he was as shown in this fine clip. Love the Sharon Jones version too (might have to give in and kick the live music ban already and go and see her...)

Can I ask a techy question? How do you find using DivShare? I am looking for a solution to uploading audio files - could this be the one?

Mondo said...

If you're breaking your ban - don't forget.... Silvery and Bongolian at Blow Up Metro tomorrow.

Divshare used to be a bit clunky but they seem to have got it together recently. It's dead simple and free too (up to 5 gig).

You can load up some Interstellar if you ever find it (see Cocktails recent blog for all the info)

ally. said...

ah kenny kenny kenny - what a guy
and hell that mvps thing is a scorcher
x

Mondo said...

Thanks Ally,
foot stomping track and jaw dropping playing isn't it.