Monday, January 14, 2008

Rolling Stoner


I read the Ron Wood biog' last week, which is pretty much 350ish pages of drunken stumbles, lucky breaks and bad investments. But it left me thinking what must it be like to be a Rolling Stone? Possibly not too dissimilar to this....

Waiting on a Friend.


*Stoner update - I've just found out (via searching Friends Reunited)that I used to go the same Youth Club as Ronnie's Sister in Law. I knew he'd made a few local appearances attended gigs, been spotted in pubs etc - all makes sense now.*

As an extra here's a tune I came up with a couple of years ago. Well, it's not really a tune - it's a 1 take piece of tat that took 10 minutes to crack out as an experiment in 'open G' tuning. Open G is a technique regularly employed by Keith Richards, it's the heart of the Stones sound and more importantly saves having to faff around remembering endless fancy chord shapes (nice and easy if your feeling a bit 'relaxed' of an evening). Tune the guitar to open G and one simple shape fits all frets. Please excuse any clunker notes and blame them on first take nerves.

Stoner.mp3

2 comments:

Axe Victim said...

I'm vibing on that Mondo. Nice one.

Mondo said...

Thanks AV If only my brand new Danelecto peachy plank had been to hand. It would have sounded super Stonesy. Perhaps I'll do some 'overdubs' - is that the phrase?